Problem No 1 with American MLM Companies

It's a cultural gap between American management and the Asian people. Americans are attracted to Asia because for many of the successful international companies, over 50% of their world wide sales come from Asia. But what are the problems?

One that is quite obvious would be the way Americans like to push their ideals to the local people. There is 'ONLY ONE WAY' to do it and as a result, their great marketing initiatives with strong financial backing may attract the crowd in the beginning but all too soon, the problems of leadership in management takes their toll and sales begin to tumble faster than it grew. One of the biggest deception is when an American manager speaks the local language and one would think he/she would understand the local culture and will be able to make optimal decisions. WRONG as I had witnessed such managers being rejected by an entire country's distributors and was sent home. Many more silently move on to other companies with no feedback to management at all when such leaders continue to manage the company.
Culture is one that takes years to develop or learn. I have been friends with Americans for more than half my life and have criss-crossed their continent many times, visiting my true blooded American friends. I still cannot say I can fully understand the American mind or culture and I still enjoy many meaningful conversations with my good friends who try to help me understand their culture. Experienced Asians living in America tell me their native colleagues love to communicate with bullet points or give single line responses. I often wonder how can there be optimal communication between the two cultures or even between their own country men?

In the recent Olympics in Beijing, there have been strong criticisms from American media of how false the young singer was who was lip singing her song at a performance. I guess the Americans do not appreciate what it means to 'save face' by the Chinese people that when they promised a great show, they will do everything to make sure it runs with clock work precision. I faced this with a previous American company who marketed to the world they were technologically advanced. However when things broke down, I had to manage the office with many staff working manually the same way that you might have seen in the East Indian movies where the electric fan seems to be turning automatically but behind the wall are many laborers pulling the ropes to make it turn! Americans are quick to forgive but may not realize Asian customers may not be so forgiving. Didn't I say there is a cultural gap?

No comments: